Friday, March 27, 2009

Live Action Toy Transformer movie

Take the audio from the original Transformers cartoon movie and then reshoot each shot using the toys. Either the originals, updated versions, customs, and anything in between. There are a fair amount of accessories that are Movie gimmicks. The alternators hotrod has a fishing pole, you can get a Unicron head from the Takara Primus. There are even 3rd party Spike and Daniel with an Exo-Suit set. Close up shots could use the masterpiece toys, shots with the city can use the worlds smallest transformers to go with the Metroplex which wasn't that big. Overall probably pretty doable. It wouldn't have to be stop motion and could very much play on the idea that it is toys being pulled by a string or similar gags. Overall it would probably be a ton of work and entertaining to watch once. As far as distribution goes it could probably only be shown at botcon. The video would be a parody, but I don't know about the usage of the audio.

Less work and a better first attempt would be to just create a five minutes sequence like this. From this it should be clear how much fun a project like this would be.

1 comment:

Evil King Macrocranios said...

I think people are doing this nowadays and posting their animations on YouTube. I remember seeing portions of the Michael Bay movie acted out with toys shortly after the movie came out on DVD. And I think at Botcon '04 Shibamura Prime won the animation category with his short film where Masterpiece Optimus falls in love with Barbie, all in very impressive stop motion. I think he called it Prime Passion and it may be on the web somewhere.

Back in '99 I tried stop motion Transformers using a VHS-C video camera that took 1/4 second frames. I shot several G1 commercials and the first five minutes or so of Transport to Oblivion in stop motion using the original audio. It was as part of a public access TV show I wanted to do in Tucson, Arizona. But I submitted the tape and they never aired it. I never got it back, either.

I remember it taking an hour to complete one minute of footage. It was really difficult building all the sets out of grocery bags and animating the movements of certain characters with painfully obvious wires looked really bad. Getting Ravage to eject out of Soundwave in a graceful arc was hard and I think my stuff ended up looking like I was the Ed Wood of Transformers animation. It was awful. Maybe today it's easier but back then it was hell. But boy was that fun to watch when I was done.